This guide will walk you through transferring/migrating MARS to another machine. It is imperative that you follow the steps below carefully. DO NOT simply uninstall MARS from your old machine. This will result in an unsuccessful migration.
Please note, that these steps are for a normal LOCAL set up and may not include all the steps or processes you need, depending on your environment.
Any issues that arise from a migration are outside the scope of normal technical support. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you allow one of our internal Professional Services consultants to perform the migration of the product. This will not only ensure a smoother transition but minimal to no downtime, as well as minimal resources/time spent completing the migration. If you would like to inquire about Professional Services, please contact our Customer Relations department at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2 or log a support ticket and select Professional Services Request for the ticket type.
- Maintenance must be current with your MARS license. Attempting to transfer MARS without active maintenance will cause the activation process to fail.
- All MARS Pre-Requisites must be met on the new machine you are migrating MARS to. To review MARS's Pre-Requisites, click here.
- Make sure that you are a local administrator with FULL administrative rights for both the old AND new machines. This is necessary to ensure MARS installs and runs successfully.
- In order to perform the transfer/migration on your own, the old machine must have MARS 7.0 or higher. If you are currently running an older version of MARS, please update to the most current build. If you cannot update to the current build, you will need to contact Customer Relations at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2 (or log a support ticket and select Professional Services Request for the ticket type) to have Professional Services assist in the transfer/migration.
Preparing for the Transition
To prepare for the transition of MARS from the old machine to the new machine, perform the following steps:
1. You will need to download and install the latest version of MARS on the new machine in order to proceed with the transfer/migration.
To get the latest version, please visit our Product Info & Updates blog and click the most recent blog post relating to MARS. The link will be at the bottom of the article.
2. On the old machine, ensure that all disk destinations (Schedule Properties > Desintation) point to a full UNC path.
Note: If disk destinations are looking at a mapped drive or a path other than a full UNC path, the reports will not be found and/or will not export to disk correctly on the new machine.
3. On the new machine, recreate the 32-bit DSNs that the old machine used. These will be needed in order for the new MARS installation to successfully access your data sources.
Note: Please ensure that the DSNs are set up exactly as they are on the old machine. Failure to do so will result in errors when the schedules run in the new MARS installation.
Transition MARS to the New Machine
To fully move MARS from the old machine to the new, perform the following steps:
1. Open MARS on the old machine and create a backup.
Note: It is recommended that you save the backup in a location where it is easily accessed by the new machine (such as a network drive).
2. On the new machine, restore the backup of MARS that you created in the previous step.
Note: If you did not save the backup to a network drive that can be accessed by the new machine, you can send the backup folder in an email and save it to the new machine's desktop.
3. Turn off scheduling on the new machine by performing the following:
- Open MARS on the new machine. Navigate to Options > Scheduler and click the box next to No Scheduling Required.
- Click Apply Setting in the upper right. Then, close the window.
Note: Until you turn scheduling off (as listed above), you may receive a pop-up window with an error stating that the new machine is not the primary scheduler. This will pop up continuously until scheduling is turned off on the new machine.
4. Once you have successfully turned off the scheduler, verify the following:
- All of your settings listed on the Options tab are correct
- All schedules are pointing to the correct directory for your reports
- Mail, database, and system path settings are correct
5. *Before proceeding to the next step, it is recommended that you take the time to verify that all of your schedules are running properly.*
Essentially, you will want the new machine to operate the same as the old machine before proceeding to the activation/deactivation portion of the migration. You have 30 days from the date that you install MARS on the new machine to activate it. Please allow enough time in that 30-day window to ensure your schedules are running as expected before continuing.
Going Live with the New Machine
Now it is time to officially make the switch from the old machine to the new machine. To do so, perform the following:
1. On the old machine, stop the Scheduler.
- In MARS, click the blue System bar on the far right side of the screen.
- Underneath the traffic light image, click the red Stop button.
2. On the new machine, start the Scheduler.
- Open MARS.
- Click the blue System bar on the far right side of the screen.
- Underneath the traffic light image, click the green Play button.
Note: For information regarding the Scheduler settings, click here.
Deactivating and Activating MARS
The final step in the migration process is to deactivate MARS on the old machine and activate it on the new machine, essentially transferring the license from one to the other. To do this, perform the following:
1. Run the Deactivation Wizard on the old machine. For instructions on how to Deactivate MARS, click here.
2. Once you have successfully deactivated MARS on the old machine, you may now uninstall it.
3. Run the Activation Wizard on the new machine. For instructions on how to Activate MARS, click here.
At this time, MARS should be completely transferred to the new machine. The old machine should have MARS completely uninstalled and deactivated.
If you experience any issues during the transfer/migration process or have any questions, please reach out to Customer Relations at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2 (or log a support ticket and select Professional Services Request for the ticket type) to inquire about Professional Services.