The data items button provides the capability to set up a number of data queries that CRD will then store and allow you to call up for use when required.
Creating a New Data Item
To create a new data item, perform the following:
1. Click the Data Items button from the toolbar at the top of CRD (pictured above).
2. On the Data Items window that appears, click Add.
3. Enter a name for the new data item (i.e. Test, Stored Procedure, Email List, etc.).
4. Select a DSN from the DSN Name drop-down. Then, provide any necessary credentials and click Connect.
5. You will then be presented with a Get values from database window. Here, you can build a query using the intuitive simple setup wizard or paste in your own query in the Advanced Query field.
Note: For more information on the Get Values From Database window, click here.
6. Once you have finished building or entering your query on the Get Values from Database window and clicked ok, you should now see the Data Item Definition window again. This window will now display all the details regarding this data item (Name, DSN connection information, and Query information).
Note: If you wish to further configure this data item, click the Options tab at the top of the window. You can set the data item to allow multiple values, replace NULL values with a default value, specify a default value to be returned if no records are found, or insert a field delimiter.
7. Once you have finished creating your data item, click OK.
You will now see the data item listed under the Item Name column of the Data Items window.
Note: New Data Items can also be added by clicking ..New.. on the Data Items dropdown on the Insert Function pane (pictured below).
Using a Data Item
Data items can be used by utilizing the Insert Function. It allows you to insert data items into various fields in CRD.
For Example: Data Items can be inserted into any of the fields in email outputs or as a value for a parameter in a report.
To use an existing data item, simply drag the data item from the Insert pane and drop it into the field you wish for it to be used (as pictured above).
Managing Data Items
Modifying a Data Item
To modify an existing Data Item, perform the following:
1. From the Item Name list, click the Data Item you wish to modify and click Edit. This will bring up the Data Item Definition window where you can modify the data item's name, the DSN connection and credentials, and any additional options set for this data item.
Note: You must click or double-click directly on the name of the data item. Simple clicking the row will not highlight or select it. Additionally, if you have several data items set, you can search for the one you want using the search bar at the top of the window.
2. To modify the DSN credentials or the query the data item uses, you must click Connect. Otherwise, the credentials and query will remain as they currently appear.
3. If you wish to view the current results of the query, click Parse. If you wish to modify the query this data item uses, click Build. You can then view the results and/or edit the query.
4. Once the desired changes have been made, click OK at the bottom of the Data Item window.
The data item will now be successfully updated and all schedules that use this data item will use the new information.
Deleting a Data Item
To delete a data item, perform the following:
1. From the Item Name list, click the Data Item you wish to delete. This will highlight the data item.
Note: You must click directly on the name of the data item. Simple clicking the row will not highlight or select it.
2. On the far right of the Data Items window, click Remove.
This will permanently remove the data item, and it will no longer appear in the Insert Function list when creating or editing schedules.
Note: If any of your current schedules are using the insert for this data item, the data item value (<d>Data Item) will not be removed from the field. However, the schedule may not work as expected as it will have no data item query to reference.