This guide will walk you through transferring/migrating CRD to another machine. It is imperative that you follow the steps below carefully. DO NOT simply uninstall CRD from your old machine. This will result in an unsuccessful migration.
Please note, that these steps are for a normal LOCAL set up and may not include all the steps or processes you need, depending on your environment.
Any issues that arise from a migration are outside the scope of normal technical support. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you allow one of our internal Professional Services consultants to perform the migration of the product. This will not only ensure a smoother transition but minimal to no downtime, as well as minimal resources/time spent completing the migration. If you would like to inquire about Professional Services, please contact our Customer Relations department at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2.
- Maintenance must be current with your CRD license. Attempting to transfer CRD without active maintenance will cause the activation process to fail.
- All CRD Pre-Requisites must be met on the new machine you are migrating CRD to. To review CRD's Pre-Requisites, click here.
- Make sure that you are a local administrator with FULL administrative rights for both the old AND new machines. This is necessary to ensure CRD installs and runs successfully.
- In order to perform the transfer/migration on your own, the old machine must have CRD 7.0 or higher. If you are currently running an older version of CRD, please update to the most current build. If you cannot update to the current build, you will need to contact Customer Relations at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2 to have Professional Services assist in the transfer/migration.
Preparing for the Transition
To prepare for the transition of CRD from the old machine to the new machine, perform the following steps:
1. You will need to download and install the latest version of CRD on the new machine in order to proceed with the transfer/migration.
To get the latest version, please log a support ticket or contact Customer Relations at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2.
2. Open CRD on the old machine and create a backup of CRD.
Note: It is recommended that you save the backup in a location where it is easily accessed by the new machine (such as a network drive).
3. On the new machine, restore the backup of CRD you created in the previous step.
Note: If you did not save the backup to a network drive that can be accessed by the new machine, you can send the backup folder in an email and save it to the new machine's desktop.
4. Once you have successfully restored the backup, open CRD on the new machine and verify the following:
- All of your settings listed on the Option tab are correct
- All schedules are pointing to the correct directory for your reports
- Mail, database, and system path settings are correct
*Before proceeding to the next step, it is recommended that you take the time to verify that all of your schedules are running properly.*
Essentially, you will want the new machine to operate the same as the old machine before proceeding to the activation/deactivation portion of the migration. You have 30 days from the date that you install CRD on the new machine to activate it. Please allow enough time in that 30-day window to ensure your schedules are running as expected before continuing.
Going Live with the New Machine
Now it is time to officially make the switch from the old machine to the new machine. To do so, perform the following:
1. On the old machine, stop the Scheduler.
- In CRD, click the blue System bar on the far right side of the screen.
- Underneath the traffic light image, click the red Stop button.
2. On the new machine, start the Scheduler.
- Open CRD.
- Click the blue System bar on the far right side of the screen.
- Underneath the traffic light image, click the green Play button.
Note: For information regarding the Scheduler settings, click here.
Deactivating and Activating CRD
The final step in the migration process is to deactivate CRD on the old machine and activate it on the new machine, essentially transferring the license from one to the other. To do this, perform the following:
1. Run the Deactivation Wizard on the old machine. For instructions on how to Deactivate CRD, click here.
2. Once you have successfully deactivated CRD on the old machine, you may now uninstall it.
3. Run the Activation Wizard on the new machine. For instructions on how to Activate CRD, click here.
At this time, CRD should be completely transferred to the new machine. The old machine should have CRD completely uninstalled and deactivated.
If you experience any issues during the transfer/migration process or have any questions, please reach out to Customer Relations at 1-888-781-8966, Option 2 to inquire about Professional Services.