CRD is regularly updated to introduce new features and address known or reported bugs. CRD users are strongly recommended to install the latest build to make sure they are up to date with bug fixes and can enjoy new features.
Note: Full information on the changes in each build can be found by visiting the Software Release Announcements Blog on our website.
- Please ensure that ALL of the pre-requisites listed on the CRD Pre-Requisites page have been met. This ensures that CRD runs as expected. Failure to meet the listed pre-requisites may result in errors occurring.
- If you are currently using CRD 6.7 (20110307) or older and want to update to the most current version, please log a support ticket or call 888-781-8966 (Client Relations) for more information. These versions of CRD are no longer supported.
- You do not need to uninstall the old version of CRD before upgrading. This is handled automatically via the installation process.
- The CRD upgrade process preserves your current schedules and configuration. To ensure this, please read and follow each step of the installation process carefully.
Prior to Updating CRD
Before updating CRD, you will need to complete the following steps:
1. Download the most current build of CRD. In order to obtain the link to the most current build, please log a support ticket or call Client Relations at 888-781-8966, Option 2.
2. Stop the CRD Scheduler.
- In CRD, click the blue System bar on the far right side of the screen.
- Underneath the traffic light image, click the red Stop button.
3. Perform a backup of CRD.
- Click the System tab at the top of the screen.
- In the Backup and Restore section of the top navigation pane, click Backup.
- Select the location you want to save the backup of CRD to.
- Click OK.
4. Ensure all instances of CRD are closed.
- In CRD, click the File tab.
- Click Exit.
- Right-click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click the Details tab.
- Note: If the Details tab is not displayed, you may have to click More Details at the bottom of the task manager window.
- Under the Name column, verify that no instances of crd.exe appear. If they do, click on them and select End Task in the lower right of the Task Manager window.
Preparing for the Update
Note: These steps must be completed prior to running the CRD installer.
Once you have downloaded the latest build/version of CRD, perform the following steps:
1. Locate and extract the CRD update.
- Navigate to the location you downloaded the CRD update to.
- Note: This is most often going to be the downloads folder for this machine (Local Disk C: > Users > *Current User* > Downloads).
- Right-click the CRDSetupX zipped folder and click Extract All.
- Choose the location you want to extract the files to.
- Click Extract.
2. Unblock the CRD installer.
- Open the CRDSetupX folder you just extracted.
- Highlight and then right click the CRDSetup file.
- Click Properties.
- On the General tab, click Unblock in the lower right corner.
- Note: If Unblock is not present, the CRD installer is already unblocked.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Note: Some security features, such as Windows SmartScreen, can block certain files or flag them as potentially unwanted. If the CRD installer is run without being unblocked, CRD will not run properly.
3. Change the Compatibility Settings.
- On the Properties window for the CRDSetup file that you opened in the previous step, click the Compatibility tab.
- In the Settings section at the bottom of the window, ensure that Run this program as an administrator has a check next to it. If it does not, check it.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Note: You must perform this step even if you are logged in as an Administrator or have Administrative rights on this computer.
Beginning the Update
To install the latest/build version of CRD, perform the following steps:
1. Right click the CRDSetup file and select Run as Administrator.
2. Click OK on the Welcome message.
3. Allow CRD to unpack and prepare the installer. You do not need to click anything during this process.
4. When the Setup Bootstrap window appears, please read the pre-requisite information regarding Crystal 2011 and CRD. Then, proceed based on the following:
- If the computer you are currently using meets the Crystal pre-requisite listed, click OK.
- If it does not, click Cancel. You will not be able to proceed with the installation until this pre-requisite is met.
5. You should now see the CRD Requirements Window. This means that the CRD installer is detecting whether or not this computer has the basic requirements for CRD to install.
- Green checkmarks indicate that the associated requirement is met.
- Yellow hazards indicate that setup was unable to detect if the requirement is met.
- Red x's indicate that the requirement is not met, and CRD cannot continue with the installation.
Red x's indicate that the requirement is not met, and CRD cannot continue with the installation.
Note: If you are unfamiliar with any of the settings listed on the pre-requisites window, contact your System Administrator.
Proceed based on the following:
If no red x's are present: Select the version of Crystal Reports installed on this computer and click Next.
If red x's are present: You will need to click Cancel and ensure that this computer meets all of the CRD Pre-Requisites before continuing.
6. To show that you have read and understood the Pre-Requisites page, check the box and click Next.
7. When the Welcome message pops up, click Next.
8. Carefully read the License Agreement.
Once you have fully read and understand the License Agreement, click the radio button next to I accept the terms in the license agreement. Then, click Next.
If you do not accept the terms of the license agreement, you will not be able to proceed with the installation.
9. Now, you will see the Select Destination Folder screen.
If the original installation was done to the default path: Click Next.
If the original installation was done to a location other than the default path:
- Click Change.
- Browse to the exact same folder where CRD is currently installed.
- Note: If you do not choose the same folder where CRD was installed originally, multiple instances of CRD will exist on this machine. This will cause many issues with the remainder of the installation and setup process. Failure to select the exact same folder may also result in you losing your previously saved schedules.
- Select the folder and click OK.
- Click Next.
10. You should now see a Ready to Install window detailing the current settings for the CRD installation. These details include the destination folder you chose in Step 10, as well as the Disk Space Requirements for the CRD installation.
Note: The Disk Space Requirements will vary from build to build. This is only the amount of disk space that is required for the installation/components of CRD.
11. Allow the CRD installation to complete. You do not need to click anything during this process.
12. When the Installation completed successfully message appears, click OK.
13. Click Finish to continue.
14. At this time, you will see a Feature Selection window. Do NOT select any of the options listed! This screen can be ignored.
15. At this time, you may see a pop-up stating that you will need to restart your computer in order to complete the CRD installation.
You can restart your computer at a later time.
You can now open CRD and restart the scheduler. The update of CRD is complete.